In my last post, I shared 5 proven strategies for loving yourself more – day after day. I want to continue this conversation by offering you 5 more ways to make positive changes in your life. Why make positive changes? It is easy to get caught in the cycle of guilt, feeling like you don’t deserve it and beating yourself up when you slip off the “diet” wagon. A healthy self-esteem helps you to reduce emotional eating, a strong source of those extra pounds.
Even making 1 or 2 of these changes in your life will have a noticeable impact.
* Post positive affirmations in places where you will see them daily. Write short notes to remind yourself of what you like and love about yourself – big things or small. And read each one out loud as you come upon it – at least once/day. While working to change your relationship with food to become your desired weight permanently, affirmations about the body you are creating will provide additional motivation.
* Celebrate your accomplishments! Don’t beat yourself up over the things you have not done, because you may still do them! If you accept yourself, those around you will pick up your lead and follow.
* List five positive words to describe yourself. Don’t use generalities like “nice” – be specific. Memorize the list and repeat it to yourself every day – at least once.
* Learn to say “no.” And don’t feel guilty about it! You do not have to do everything you are asked to do or attend everything you are invited to. It’s your life – you have the right to say “thank you, but no” – gracefully. Do not overextend yourself just because you think doing something will make someone else happy. Always take care of yourself.
* Take care of your body. Your body is a temple, so treat it carefully with respect and love. Keep your body healthy and strong with good nutrition and regular exercise. Since body, mind and spirit are all connected, taking care of yourself helps you take care of others – and feels a lot better!
Want to get more tips on simple ways to make positive changes in your life? Click to read Dee’s article Increase Your Self Esteem and Lose Weight – 15 Tips for Making It Happen